Detroit Tigers @ Cleveland Indians Matchup Preview - August 16th, 2022

Editor

The Detroit Tigers (45-74) will battle the Cleveland Guardians (62-55) on Tuesday night. Oddsmakers peg the Guardians as the favorite with an implied win probablity of 66%, leaving the Tigers with a 34% chance to record a win. Based on the current odds the Tigers have an implied team total of 3.27 compared to 4.73 for the Guardians.

Detroit Tigers Insights

  • Despite conventional wisdom, fastballs are generally a pitcher's least effective pitch. Garrett Hill has gone to his fastball a lot this year, though: 56.3% of the time, ranking in the 79th percentile.

  • Victor Reyes is an extreme groundball batter and matches up with the strong infield defense of Cleveland (#2-best on the slate today).

  • Miguel Cabrera has a 99th percentile opposite-field rate on his flyballs (41.9%) and has the good fortune of hitting them towards baseball's 6th-shallowest RF fences today.

Cleveland Indians Insights

  • Zach Plesac’s fastball spin rate over his last 3 outings (2197 rpm) has been significantly better than than his seasonal rate (2147 rpm).

  • Myles Straw has primarily hit in the top-half of the batting order this season (55% of the time), but he is projected to hit 9th on the lineup card today.

  • Projected catcher Austin Hedges grades out as an elite pitch framer, via THE BAT projection system.

Betting Trends

  • The Cleveland Guardians have hit the Moneyline in 52 of their last 93 games (+12.95 Units / 11% ROI)

  • The Detroit Tigers have hit the Game Total Under in 53 of their last 97 games (+17.05 Units / 16% ROI)

  • Triston McKenzie has hit the Pitching Outs Over in 12 of his last 15 games (+9.20 Units / 48% ROI)