Arizona Cardinals vs Los Angeles Rams Matchup Preview - November 13th, 2022

Editor

Sunday the Arizona Cardinals (3-6) will battle the Los Angeles Rams (3-5). Oddsmakers peg the Rams as the favorite with an implied win probablity of 62%, leaving the Cardinals with a 38% chance to record a win. The current spread is the Rams -3.5 with a Game Total of 38.0.

Los Angeles's primary disadvantage this season has been their offense, which has ranked #28 in football with a low 297 yards per game. They've been so ineffective on offense in large part because of their ground attack, clocking in at #32 in the league with just 3.24 yards per carry. The most important component of a strong ground game is a good offensive line. If the line isn't opening up holes and creating space, it doesn't matter how good a team's running backs are. Unfortunately for Los Angeles, their line ranks #1-worst in the league in run blocking. This presents a decided disadvantage for Los Angeles given that the Cardinals run defense has thrived this year, allowing a mere 5.11 yards per carry (good for #25-best in the NFL). When it comes to their defense, the Rams check in at #3 in football when it comes to total yards allowed per game. Opposing air attacks have notched 221 yards per game against Los Angeles this year (#12 in football). Opposing ball-carriers have ranked #3 against them with 4.13 yards per ground attempt. This Rams defense hits their peak effectiveness when it comes to defending opposing tight ends, allowing them to complete just 62.3% of their passes (#4-lowest in the league). Los Angeles's defensive effectiveness bottoms out when it comes to defending opposing wide receivers, who have caught 70% of their passes (#6-highest in the league).

Arizona's biggest weakness has been their defense, ranking #24 in the league while allowing 387 yards per game. Much of their struggle has come in trying to shut down the run game, as they've allowed opposing ball-carriers to rush for the #8-most yards per carry: 5.11. The Cardinals linebackers have played a big part in their inability to stop the run, ranking #2-worst in the NFL by this measure. In terms of their offense, the Cardinals have ranked #20 in the league in total yards per game. They've passed for 245 yards per game (#12 in football). On the ground they've ranked #23 with 4.13 yards per carry.

Arizona Cardinals Insights

  • The Arizona Cardinals offensive line ranks as the 3rd-worst in the NFL this year at opening holes for rushers.

  • Zach Ertz's receiving performance has gotten better this season, compiling 5.0 yards per game vs just 4.0 last season.

  • The Los Angeles Rams pass defense has struggled when opposing TEs have gotten into space, giving up an average of 5.64 yards-after-the-catch this year: the 10th-most in football.

Los Angeles Rams Insights

  • The Los Angeles Rams will be forced to start backup quarterback John Wolford in this game, which typically means fewer pass attempts and more rushes.

  • Cooper Kupp has notched quite a few less air yards this year (88.0 per game) than he did last year (96.0 per game).

  • The Los Angeles Rams have gone no-huddle on 15.8% of their plays outside the two-minute warning since the start of last season (3rd-most in the NFL). This speeds up the pace, resulting in more volume and stat production.

Betting Trends

  • The Los Angeles Rams have hit the Game Total Under in 9 of their last 12 games (+5.70 Units / 43% ROI)

  • The Arizona Cardinals have hit the Moneyline in 3 of their last 6 away games (+1.90 Units / 29% ROI)

  • A.J. Green has hit the Receptions Under in 9 of his last 11 games (+6.25 Units / 40% ROI)